About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
Save As PDF Email this page Print this page

Hong Kong to experiment with cross-border private motoring into China

The Hong Kong government plans to permit owners of private cars to drive into China's southern Guangdong province.

The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce will assist applicants in meeting the requirements from Chinese Customs.

These include applying for ATA Carnet for self-drive scheme, filing for electronic record and taking out carnet insurance for the car.

ATA Carnet is an international customs document that permits goods to be imported into a country temporarily duty-free.

ATA Carnets can be used in 71 countries, including the UK, the US and many European and Asian countries.

The chamber is the sole authorised issuing and guaranteeing agent of ATA Carnets and issued over 6,000 Carnets covering export value of more than US$15.5 billion in 2011.

Content provided by Shipping Gazette